Runners by star sire LEMON DROP KID ended July on the right note with a big weekend that highlighted the versatility and prowess of the Top 20 sire.
Three-time Grade 1 winner Richard’s Kid, one of the handicap division’s top performers for several years now, set himself up for another assault on the G1 Pacific Classic with a track-record-setting victory in the G3 Cougar II H. at Del Mar July 27. It was Richard’s Kid’s second win in the Cougar and pushed his career earnings to $1.9 million; he now will attempt an unprecedented third victory in the jewel of the Del Mar meet, the Pacific Classic.
Earlier on the same day, LEMON DROP KID had four more impressive winners across the country:
* The 3yo stakes-winning filly Lemon Splendor captured a salty ALW at Saratoga
* The 3yo colt Brainwash, a $250,000 FTSAUG yearling, won off by six lengths in a one-mile MSW at Arlington Park
* The 2yo filly Incredible Journey, a Gary and Mary West homebred, overcame a troubled start to get up and win her debut in a grassy MSW at Arlington
* The 3yo filly Customer Base, a $170,000 FTKJUL yearling, got her head down in Del Mar ALW
To close out the month, LEMON DROP KID was also represented by:
* The 3yo filly Drama Drama, a G. Watts Humphrey, Jr. homebred who won an Ellis Park MSW July 29
* The 3yo colt Zempat, a homebred for George Strawbridge, Jr.’s Augustin Stable who won a Parx MSW July 30
LEMON DROP KID has two catalogued horses at next week’s Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Sale:
Hip 20, a colt produced by the winning Cozzene mare Le Caire, herself a daughter of SW Mrs. West (Gone West)
Hip 34, a New York-bred filly out of the SP Miss Bodine (Vindication), a half to four stakes horses, including GSW Icecoldbeeratreds
And keep an eye out for LEMON DROP KID yearlings at Keeneland September!