Runners by star sire LEMON DROP KID starred from coast to coast over a summer that highlighted the versatility and prowess of the Top 15 active sire.
As the Saratoga meet drew to a close, the 2yo colt Balance the Books became LEMON DROP KID’s latest graded stakes winner in the G2 With Anticipation S. Owned by Klaravich Stables and William Lawrence, the grandson of the brilliant Kooyonga (Ire) entered the $200,000 race as a maiden–he’d finished a fast-closing second in his lone other start–but earned his diploma in style with another strong late charge. The colt is trained by Chad Brown.
Also at Saratoga, the 3yo filly Somali Lemonade got running late to place third in the G2 Woodford Reserve Lake Placid S. Aug. 19, while multiple stakes winner Kid Kate ran second, beaten a half-length, in the $100,000 Big Bambu S. Aug. 31.
Three-time Grade 1 winner Richard’s Kid, one of the handicap division’s top performers for several years now, romped to a track-record-setting victory in the G3 Cougar II H. at Del Mar July 27, then came back to finished a game third in the G1 Pacific Classic Aug. 26. Richard’s Kid has now earned in excess of $2.1 million.
While tough-as-nails veterans like Richard’s Kid keep at it, LEMON DROP KID has been represented by a number of exciting young horses in recent weeks:
* 2yo colt Army Hero, a $260,000 KEESEP yearling, broke his maiden by 7 1/4 lengths in a one-mile Ellis Park MSW Aug. 26
* 3yo filly Vanishing ran third in the Malvern Rose S. at Presque Isle Aug. 10
* 3yo filly Drama Drama, a G. Watts Humphrey, Jr. homebred who won an Ellis Park MSW July 29, then finished third in the Hatoof S. at Arlington Park Aug. 18
* 3yo colt Zempat, a homebred for George Strawbridge, Jr.’s Augustin Stable who won a Parx MSW July 30
* 3yo stakes-winning filly Lemon Splendor captured a salty ALW at Saratoga July 27
* 3yo colt Brainwash, a $250,000 FTSAUG yearling, won off by six lengths in a one-mile MSW at Arlington Park July 27
* 2yo filly Incredible Journey, a Gary and Mary West homebred, overcame a troubled start to get up and win her debut in a grassy MSW at Arlington July 27
* 3yo filly Customer Base, a $170,000 FTKJUL yearling, got her head down in Del Mar ALW July 27
LEMON DROP KID has 48 yearlings catalogued at Keeneland September, including nine through Lane’s End. Keep an eye out for his latest group of outstanding youngsters!