SMART STRIKE continued his dominance as the unequalled heir to Mr. Prospector in 2012, concluding the season as a Top 5 sire in North America for the sixth straight year. The two-time leading sire was ranked #3 by graded stakes winners (9), was ranked #5 by stakes winners (14), and was ranked #3 on the Leading Turf Sires list. He also ended the year as the top-ranked North American sire by cumulative Average Earnings Index, with an AEI of 2.40 (vs. a CI of 2.07).
SMART STRIKE was responsible for the earners of $8,460,973 in 2012, led by the brilliant Eclipse Award finalist My Miss Aurelia. That Stonestreet Stable and George Bolton colorbearer, named Champion Juvenile Filly a year earlier after winning the G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, returned to defeat Questing (GB) in an epic renewal of the G1 Cotillion S. at Parx and gave Royal Delta all she could handle in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic, finishing a close second. Trained by Steve Asmussen, My Miss Aurelia has earned over $2.4 million and will return to the races at four. She lost this year’
SMART STRIKE’s other 2012 standouts included:
• Centre Court, a G. Watts Humphrey, Jr. 3yo homebred filly who won the G2 Mrs. Revere S. at Churchill and the G2 Lake George S. at Saratoga
• Air Support, a Stuart S. Janney III homebred who captured the G2 Bowling Green S. at Belmont
• Dominus, 4yo colt who won the G2 Bernard Baruch H. for Stonestreet, George Bolton & Spendthrift Farm
• Salty Strike, 4yo Craig Singer homebred filly who won the G3 Gardenia S.
• May Be Now, winner of the G2 Grande Premio Marciano de Aguiar Moreira and G2 Duque de Caxias
• Hit it Rich, heroine of the G3 Glens Falls S. and G3 Orchid S.
• Philly Ace, winner of the G3 Tropical Turf H.
• Smart Bid, veteran winner of the G3 Fair Grounds H.
Buyers were eager to get their hands on SMART STRIKE’s next generation of stars. His 34 yearlings to sell in 2012 averaged $238,284, and included a $1.3 million half-sister to Bodemeister, a $900,000 half-brother to SW Supreme (Empire Maker), and a $650,000 colt out of MG1SW Hollywood Story. SMART STRIKE’s juveniles-in-training averaged $231,667, while mares in foal to him averaged $387,500.
SMART STRIKE continues to bolster his reputation as a sire of sires, most notably with two of his champion sons who stand at Lane’s End. Two-time Horse of the Year son CURLIN was a Top 10 freshman sire in 2012, while the Eclipse Award-winning ENGLISH CHANNEL was ranked #4 on the Sophomore Sire List.
It’s no surprise, too, that SMART STRIKE’s daughters are making headlines. SMART STRIKE concluded the year ranked #12 on the Leading Broodmare Sires list. He was the only active sire in the Top 15 on the list, and is just one of four active sires in the top 35. His producing daughters include Mining My Own, dam of the 2012 G1 Blue Grass S. and G1 Pacific Classic winner Dullahan, as well as Kentucky Derby hero Mine That Bird. He is also the broodmare sire of 2012 Sovereign Award finalist Dixie Strike, by DIXIE UNION, and the G2 Dixie S. winner Hudson Steele.
Whether you’re breeding to sell, breeding to race, or building a world-class broodmare band, there’s really only one choice: SMART STRIKE.