In the span of seven days in August, runners by CITY ZIP went on a tear that included two group/graded victories–one in track-record-setting time at Del Mar–and a pair of impressive stakes wins at Saratoga. Here’s the breakdown:
• Aug. 16 – G1SW Dayatthespa easily wins the $150,000 Yaddo S. at Saratoga
• Aug. 18 – MGSW Reneesgotzip leads every step to win the $150,000 G3 Rancho Bernando H. at Del Mar by 4 1/4 lengths. Her final time of 1:14.48 sets a new track mark for 6 1/2 furlongs
• Aug. 23 – Palace rallies past last year’s G1 Breeders’ Cup Sprint runner-up and G1 Vosburgh S. winner The Lumber Guy to win the $100,000 Chowder’s First S. at Saratoga by three lengths
• Aug. 23 – Millionaire City Style gets his neck down to win the G3 Sky Bet Strensall S. at York
In the same stretch, CITY ZIP had a pair of 3yo stakes fillies. Every Way just missed by a neck when second in the Hatoof S. at Arlington, while City Gone Wild ran third in the $75,000 New York Oaks.
It’s been another rock-solid season for CITY ZIP. As of Aug. 27, he is:
• Top 20 active sire in North America on the General Sire List
• Top 20 active sire by turf earnings
• Top 15 sire by 2yo earnings
• Top 12 sire by all-weather earnings
CITY ZIP’s also been a standout at the sales. This spring, juveniles by CITY ZIP sold for $200,000, $155,000, $125,000, $100,000 (3), etc. At the yearling sales, CITY ZIP has already seen three yearlings reach the $100,000 mark.
CITY ZIP is well represented at Keeneland September, where he has 38 yearlings cataloged, including four from Lane’s End. They include:
• Hip 1143, a colt o/o SW & GSP Sweet Problem
• Hip 1942, a colt o/o of a DIXIE UNION half to GSW Break Water Edison (LEMON DROP KID)
• Hip 2028, a filly o/o G1SW Auntie Mame
• Hip 2086, a filly from the family of champion Banshee Breeze
CITY ZIP – The numbers don’t lie.