January 20, 2014
CITY ZIP was once again a top-ranked North American sire in 2013, with $7,041,085 in progeny earnings putting him in the Top 15 among active stallions. It’s the fourth straight year CITY ZIP has been at least a Top 25 General Sire by that metric. In 2012, CITY ZIP ranked #4 on the General Sire List among North American stallions.
Here’s a quick look at CITY ZIP’s 2013 numbers:
- #15 General Sire (among active North American stallions)
- #12 Turf Sire (among active Kentucky sires)
- #13 All-Weather Sire (among active Kentucky sires)
- #6 Sire by Winners (147)
- #12 Sire by Black-Type Horses
- 10 SWs
- 23 SHs
- 3 GSWs
- 8 GSHs
- 1.70 Average Earnings Index vs. 1.43 CI
In 2013, CITY ZIP continued his ascendance as a commercial sire, with his yearlings (bred on a $15,000 fee) and juveniles (bred on $10,000 fee) both selling well, and to top international operations like Shadwell Stable. What’s more, his accomplished daughters are becoming more and more sought after as broodmare prospects.
- Yearlings sold for $140,000 (Shadwell), $110,000 (Jet Horse II), $105,000 (Dixiana Farms), $100,000 (Phase II), $100,000 (Mersad Metanovic), $100,000 (Kings Equine), etc.
- Weanlings sold for $120,000 (Shadwell), $90,000 (Sundown Bloodstock), $90,000 (Pacific Racing), etc.
- 2yos-in-training sold for $200,000 (David Clark), $155,000 (Michael Dubb), $125,000 (Bradley Thoroughbreds), $100,000 (Blinkers On), $100,000 (Always Believe Inc.), $100,000 (Mr. Amore Stable), etc.
- Mares by CITY ZIP included the $250,000 Gitchee Goomie (Adena Springs), $190,000 Cosmo Girl (Stonestreet Stable), $175,000 City at Dawn (La Bahia Stud), $110,000 City Splash (Gainesway), etc.
Maybe nothing illustrates the improving quality of CITY ZIP’s books than his 2013 covering sire average, a very strong $125,182. His covering median was $120,000, better than Street Cry (Ire), Blame, Kitten’s Joy, Awesome Again, Elusive Quality, Ghostzapper, etc.
- Mares in foal to CITY ZIP included the $400,000 Atala (Don Alberto Corp.), $125,000 Brave as a Lion (Lane’s End Bloodstock), $125,000 My Bellamy (Old Friends Stable/Alvin Haynes), $120,000 Smooth Performer (Windways Farm), etc.
CITY ZIP’s notable progeny in 2013 include:
- RENEESGOTZIP – 4yo, f – G3 Rancho Bernardo H., 2nd G1 Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint
- CITY STYLE – 7yo, g – G3 Sky Bet Strensall S., 3rd G1 Jebel Hatta
- PALACE – 4yo, c – G3 Fall Highweight H.
- DAYATTHESPA – 4yo, f – You Go West Girl S., Yaddo S.
- MYSTIC CITY – SW
- MAJESTIC CITY – SW & GSP
- XONACA – SW
In all, few sires can offer the commercial and breed-to-race upside of CITY ZIP, who has generated world-class numbers from limited opportunities. His best-bred horses are set to hit the track in the coming years, making the half-brother to Ghostzapper one of the most savvy plays in breeding today.