January 20, 2014
Five champions. Twenty-one graded stakes winners. Sixty-nine stakes winners. Over 140 Northern Hemisphere stakes horses. A top 15 sire on the General Sires List for seven years.
It’s safe to say there are few sires that stand for less that $25,000 who can match these numbers, much less a stallion who stands for just $7,500. The stallion who can boast of those numbers, of course, is LANGFUHR. One of the primary torchbearers of the Danzig line in North America, LANGFUHR has sired the Grade 1 winner and champion Lawyer Ron, the Triple Crown winner Wando, and the Grade 1 winners Jambalaya, Interpatation, Imperial Gesture, Euroears and Lang Field.
A top 25 active North American sire once again in 2013, LANGFUHR could claim seasonal progeny earnings of $6,097,320—better than Arch ($40,000), Scat Daddy ($30,000), First Samurai ($15,000), Exchange Rate ($20,000), etc, each of whom stand for at least twice as much as LANGFUHR.
Here’s a look at LANGFUHR’s 2013 by the numbers:
- #21 General Sire List (by North American earnings)
- #15 Turf Sire (among active Kentucky sires)
- #15 All-Weather Sire (among active Kentucky sires)
- Lifetime AEI of 1.48, better than Congrats ($35,000), Broken Vow ($25,000), Discreet Cat ($20,000), Mizzen Mast ($20,000), Proud Citizen ($15,000), etc.
- Emerging broodmare sire with 7 SWs in 2013
- Yearlings sold for up to $185,000 (almost 25x stud fee)
- 2yos-in-training sold for up to $130,000
LANGFUHR’s 2013 standouts include:
- LONDON LANE – 6yo, g – G2 Colonial Turf Cup S.
- MADEIRA PARK – 4yo, f – G3 Ballerina S.
- ULLAPOOL – 4yo, f – Garland of Roses S., etc.
- SUPER ABILITY – 5yo, g – Grey Memo S.
- UNCLE DAVE – 3yo, g – Luke Kruytbosch S.
- TEARRA (TUR) – 3yo, c, – G1SP
- SPRING TO THE SKY – 4yo, c – GSP
- MR MUZZARE – GSP
- MIDNIGHT TABOO – 3yo, c – SP
- STRATOCRUISER – 3yo, c – SP
LANGFUHR also had a number of 2013 juveniles who won impressively in maiden special company to keep an eye out for this season. They included:
- ANGRY MOON – 2yo, c – $285,000 KEESEP grad beat 10 others in a six-furlong dash over the Churchill Downs dirt
- SWELL – 2yo, c – Rallied from last in a $60,000, 5 1/2-furlong Msw on the dirt at Belmont in career opener
- ZIGGY THE GREAT – 2yo, c – Got up to win a 5 1/2-furlong turf sprint at Saratoga in his debut
- FORFEIT – 2yo, g – Romped by nearly 5 lengths in a 6-furlong event at Turfway as 3-2 pick
Proven, world-class performance and a bright outlook for 2014? It’s LANGFUHR – standing for $7,500 in 2014.