January 14, 2014
Death, taxes and LEMON DROP KID. There are just a handful of sure things in life, and after more than a decade of being a perennial leading sire, LEMON DROP KID sure comes close to fitting the bill. From Triple Crown contenders like Code West and Treasury Bill, to Grade 1-performing 3yo fillies like Concise (GB), to tough, sound veterans like Richard’s Kid and Wilkinson, LEMON DROP KID had another fine year in 2013.
Here’s a quick look at his 2013 by the numbers:
- Top 20 Active KY Sire
- Top 10 Turf Sire
- Top 15 Active U.S. All-Weather Sire
- Top 20 U.S. Sire by Lifetime AEI
- 12 SWs
- 6 GSWs
- 11% Career SWs/Starters
- 6 Career Grade 1 Winnners
- 2013 Yearling Avg: $120,879
- Yearlings sold for $440,000, $360,000, $350,000 (2), $290,000 (2), $230,000, $220,000, $210,000 (2), $200,000, etc.
- Weanlings sold for $325,000, $250,000, etc.
Notable 2013 Runners:
- CUSTOMER BASE – 4yo, f – G3 Robert J Frankel S., Lucie Manet S., 3rd G2 Goldikova S.
- RICHARD’S KID – 8yo, h – G3 Cougar II H., 3rd G3 Pimlico Special S., etc.
- KID DREAMS – 3yo, c – G3 Hawthorne Derby
- SOMALI LEMONADE – 4yo, f – G3 Dr. James Penny Memorial H.
- CODE WEST – 3yo, c – G3 Matt Winn S., 2nd G2 Risen Star S.
- VALIANT GIRL (GB) – 4yo, f – G3 My Charmer H., Omnibus S.
- CANDY KITTY – 2yo, f – Wait a While S.
- HANGOVER KID – 5yo, h – West Point S., 3rd G1 United Nations S.
- BALANCE THE BOOKS – 3yo, c, – Stroll S.
- RUSTY SLIPPER – 3yo, f – Little Silver S.
- DONOHARM – 4yo, g – Fifth Season S.
- CONCISE (GB) – 3yo, f – 3rd G1 Garden City S.
- NUTELLO – 4yo, c – 3rd G1 Sword Dancer Invitational S.
- WILKINSON – 5yo, h – 2nd G2 Arcadia S., 3rd G1 Shoemaker Mile S.
- TREASURY BILL – 3yo, c – 2nd G2 San Vicente S.
LEMON DROP KID now seems loaded for a big 2014. He already has a handful of stakes-performing juveniles, including Candy Kitty, winner of the $100,000 Wait a While S. at Gulfstream Nov. 30. LEMON DROP KID is also the sire of the 2013 juvenile stakes fillies Lemon de Oro (Hollywood Park), Unspurned (Woodbine) and Lemon Point (Gulfstream).
LEMON DROP KID’s position among elite sires was illustrated in the TDN’s Bill Oppenheim’s Mid-Year APEX Rankings in 2013. LEMON DROP KID sported an ‘A Runner’ Index of 2.68, better than Distorted Humor, Tapit, Kitten’s Joy, Tiznow, Oasis Dream (GB), Awesome Again, etc. Considering he stands for less than half than Tiznow and Awesome Again, nearly a third of the likes of Distorted Humor and Kitten’s Joy, and roughly a fifth of what Tapit stands for, LEMON DROP KID stands as one of the smartest choices a breeder can make.
A proven, elite sire - LEMON DROP KID.