January 21, 2014
Not Distorted Humor, Unbridled’s Song or Giant’s Causeway. Not late greats like Danzig or Montjeu (Ire), nor the European star Galileo (Ire). Not even the amazing Danehill, with his 1,222 runners going for him, reached $100 million in progeny earnings.
It’s a truly special achievement realized by only a handful of sires—Sadler’s Wells, A.P. INDY, Storm Cat and Dynaformer—and the living legend SMART STRIKE. The last great son of Mr. Prospector, SMART STRIKE, after another terrific season, ended 2013 with progeny earnings of $107,802,506. SMART STRIKE’s Hall of Fame credentials include three Horses of the Year, 12 champions, 13 Grade 1 winners, 51 graded winners, 98 stakes winners, and 190 stakes horses. Horse of the Year CURLIN, champion and Breeders’ Cup winner ENGLISH CHANNEL, and champion and Breeders’ Cup My Miss Aurelia are just a few of the names on the honor roll.
Here’s a look at SMART STRIKE’s 2013 by the numbers:
- #17 General Sire (among active North American stallions)
- #7 Turf Sire (among active Kentucky stallions)
- #12 All-Weather Sire (among active Kentucky stallions)
- #3 Sire by Juvenile Stakes Horses (8)
- #3 Sire by Grade 1 Winners (3)
- #3 Sire by Lifetime Average Earnings Index (2.33)
- #5 Sire by Graded Horses (17)
- 12 SWs
- 27 SHs
- 3 G1SWs
- 17 GSHs
- Yearling average: $279,429 (35 sold) (#8 sire by avg.)
- 2yo-in-training average: $303,500 (8 sold) (#1 sire by avg.)
- Covering Sire average: $596,429 (7 sold) (#7 sire by avg.)
Among SMART STRIKE’s 2013 sales yearlings were:
- $1,000,000 colt o/o champion Serenading (A.P. INDY) (Mike Puhich)
- $800,000 filly o/o MSW & G1SP Handpainted (A.P. INDY) (Borges Torrealba Holdings)
- $775,000 half-sister to MSWs Laurie’s Rocket & Greeley’s Rocket (John Greathouse)
- $575,000 colt o/o GSW Belle of Perintown (GEM Stables)
SMART STRIKE’s 2yos-in-training included:
- $1,800,000 sale topper at OBS March, a son of Grade 1 winner Mini Sermon (Stonestreet Stable)
- $700,000 filly o/o half to MG1SW Music Note (A.P. INDY) (Regis Farm)
Mares selling in foal to SMART STRIKE in 2013 included:
- $2,150,000 Grade 2 winner and G1 Kentucky Oaks runner-up Broadway’s Alibi (Reynolds Bell, agent for Alpha Delta)
- $735,000 MSW Snow Fall (War Front) (Don Alberto Corp.)
- $600,000 Grade 2 winner Kathmanblu (Shadai Farm)
Maybe the most exciting thing about SMART STRIKE is that, despite all his success, he shows no signs of slowing down. In 2013, only one active sire had more juvenile stakes horses than SMART STRIKE’s eight, horses that included the G1 Hollywood Starlet winner Streaming, the multiple Grade 1 performer Fascinating ($1.3 million yearling), and the graded performers Marbre Rose (Ire), Elena Strikes and Zinzay ($700,000 juvenile).
Here’s a quick look at SMART STRIKE’s 2013 notable performers.
- SWAGGER JACK – 5yo, h – G1 Carter H.
- STREAMING – 2yo, f – G1 Hollywood Starlet S.
- CENTRE COURT – 4yo, f – G1 Jenny Wiley S., G2 Honey Fox S., etc.
- SCARLET STRIKE – 3yo, f – G3 Providencia S., 3rd G1 Las Virgenes S.
- VUITTON – 4yo, f – MSW
- CHAMOIS – 3yo, c – MSW
SMART STRIKE, twice leading North America sire and one of the all-time greats.