January 15, 2014
The rise of War Front as a sire has been meteoric. A top 5 stallion in the U.S. in 2013 and the sire of a staggering 27 stakes winners on the year, War Front also sired the $2.5 million topper at Keeneland September and saw his 48 yearlings average $362,996—off a fee of $15,000.
Breeders, now looking at War Front’s sons, and predictably, have anointed THE FACTOR as the next big thing. Called “one of the fastest 3yos on the planet,” by the Blood-Horse magazine, THE FACTOR is War Front’s lone Grade 1 winner on dirt. Owned by George Bolton and Fog City Stable and trained by Bob Baffert, THE FACTOR, the top-priced horse at the 2010 Barretts May Sale was a truly special racehorse. That was evident when he broke his maiden in a track-record 1:06.98 at Santa Anita.
Here’s a quick recap of his wins…his winning times…and the horses he beat:
- G1 Malibu S., 7f – 1:19 4/5 (by 3 1/2L, defeating Centralingeligence-G1, etc.)
- G1 Pat O’Brien S., 7f – 1:21 2/5 (by 1 3/4L, defeating Camp Victory-G1, Crown of Thorns-G2, Smiling Tiger-G1, etc.)
- G2 Rebel S., 1 1/16m – 1:42 (by 6 1/4L, defeated Caleb’s Posse-G1, Archarcharch-G1, etc.)
- G2 San Carlos S., 7f – 1:20 2/5 (defeating Amazombie-G1, etc.)
- G2 San Vicente S., 7f – 1:20 (defeating Sway Away-MG2SP, etc.)
With that sort of performance on offer for just $15,000, breeders swarmed to THE FACTOR in his first year at stud, sending 135 mares his way in 2013. Last November, some of those mares were on offer for the first time at the bloodstock sales, and horsemen were just as excited to buy his mares as they were to breed to him. A total of 20 of the 21 mares offered in foal to THE FACTOR sold for an average of $110,300. That was the third-highest covering average for a freshman sire in the U.S., and was better than To Honor and Serve ($30,000 fee/$93,533 avg.), Stay Thirsty ($20,000/$93,308), Shackleford ($20,000/$60,235), etc.
THE FACTOR’s sales mares included:
- $450,000 Dancing Trieste, carrying a 3/4-sibling to War Front’s G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf runner-up Giovanni Boldini (purchased by Blandford Bloodstock)
- $150,000 You’re Beingplayed, 1/2 to Champion Spring in the Air (John & Martha Mulholland)
- $120,000 Salvar, 1/2 to Clearly Now (Lane’s End Bloodstock)
- $105,000 Good News Day, 1/2 to End Sweep (Millers Creek Stables)
- $105,000 Riboletti, o/o U.S. Ch. Older Mare Riboletta (Brz) (Alex Garcia Romero)
- $100,000 Silver Cub (CITY ZIP), SW 1/2 to two SWs (Gilbert C. Campbell)
With the pedigree, the race record, the looks, and now the broad support of breeders, it’s clear THE FACTOR will have every opportunity to succeed at stud. Keep an eye out for THE FACTOR’s highly anticipated first foals in 2014!