August 4, 2015
With just 205 horses catalogued, the selection process for Fasig-Tipton’s Saratoga Sale is tough and exacting. Only the very best physicals earn a trip to the Spa. So it says something about the caliber of horses being sired by our phenom freshman THE FACTOR and UNION RAGS that they are represented by 14 horses between them at Saratoga. THE FACTOR has six catalogued horses, UNION RAGS has eight.
UNION RAGS first announced himself as a potential star at Saratoga with a dominating win in the G2 Saratoga Special, so it’s fitting that so many members of his first crop are set to get their start there, too. Here are some of his highlights:
- Hip 5 – Half-sister to Champion 2yo Filly She Be Wild
- Hip 21 – Half-brother to G1 Darley Alcibiades winner Wickedly Perfect
- Hip 55 – Half-brother to MSW Conquest Tsunami o/o SW & GSP Classic Neel
- Hip 82 – NY-bred half-sister to SP Blue Baby o/o stakes-placed SMART STRIKE mare
- Hip 128 – Half-brother to SW Patsy’s Holiday
- Hip 154 – 3/4-brother to SP Dom (DIXIE UNION) o/o GSW Pink Champagne
- Hip 178 – LANE’S END SALES-consigned daughter of MSW & G1SP Runway Rosie
- Hip 179 – Half-brother to G2SW Shaniko (A.P. INDY) and SW Silky Smooth o/o G2SW Sapphire N’ Silk (PLEASANT TAP)
UNION RAGS was last year’s leading freshman sire by weanling average ($134,315) and by median ($130,000), with 19 of 23 on offer sold. So far this year, he’s had four yearlings sell for an average of $111,250 and median of $115,000.
THE FACTOR’s first yearlings were exceptionally well-received at Fasig-Tipton July, where all five on offer sold. They averaged $144,000—off a $15,000 fee—and had a median of $150,000.
THE FACTOR’s standouts at Saratoga include:
- Hip 152 – Half-brother to MSW and $283k earner One Smokin’ Lady
- Hip 166 – Filly o/o of young half-sister to G1SW and leading sire Indian Charlie
- Hip 183 – 3/4-sister to G2SP Battle of Marathon (War Front) o/o G2SW Sayedah (Ire)
- Hip 184 – Colt o/o young half to California Chrome’s sire Lucky Pulpit
- Hip 196 – Half-brother to SW & G1SP Harlan’s Ruby
- Hip 202 – Half-brother to SW & G1 Irish Champion S. runner-up Traffic Guard and MSP Seanchai
THE FACTOR was last year’s third-leading freshman sire by average ($92,538) and median ($77,500).
- Hip 439 – New York-bred colt by UNION RAGS o/o SP Bold Assurance
- Hip 460 – New York-bred filly by THE FACTOR o/o half to 5 stakes winners, including G1SW Prenup
Up at Saratoga for the sales? Be sure to check out these outstanding prospects! They might just put you in the winner’s circle across the street a year from now…